Sunday, December 11, 2005

Shall we Dance?

Since I love the original Japanese version of Shall we Dance, I had been hesitant to watch the Jennifer Lopez/Richard Gere remake. I watched it this weekend and of course it doesn't hold a candle to the original version, but there was a quote that has stuck in my mind all day.

Woman: All these promises we make and break....Why is it people get married?
Man: Passion.
Woman: No.
Man: Why then?
Woman: Because we need a witness to our lives. There is a billion people on the planet...I mean what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage you are promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things. All of it, all of the time, every day you're saying "Your life will not go un-noticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness".


We all want acknowledgement of our existence I guess, appreciation of being who we are. There ARE a billion people on the planet...why is it so hard to find then?

1 comment:

Caryn said...

That's a beautiful quote - there is something a bit sad about it, but on the other hand I think that quote holds an enormous truth.

I agree that the first movie is great and cannot be surpassed, though the Richard Gere version is cute and kinda fun in a simple way. One of the reviews I read said that the new version lacked the social stigma that the first one dealt with (to put it extremely simply, a man dancing with someone other than his wife in that fashion in Asian society - I hope I have the thought right) which gave the first version a lot of depth.