Monday, February 02, 2009

Your Thoughts?

I'm curious as to your thoughts the woman who gave birth to the octuplets from IVF recently. From what I understand, she is 33, has 6 other children all under the age of 8 and no father of any of her children is in the picture.

I think the mother made a poor choice. I certainly understand the desire to have a child, but I think there has to be a point where the practicality of finances and familial strain have to win out. Though I definitely question the doctors who thought this woman was a good candidate for IVF (and I'm DYING to know who paid for it....it is NOT cheap!), I so SO hate that IVF is getting a bad reputation in all this. I have a married colleague in her mid 40s who (responsibly) used it and had twin girls, but was completely in a stable emotional and financial place before she and her husband made that choice. I feel bad that these 14 children have to grow up in a difficult situation.

If she gives an interview, I'm torn about watching.  Even though I think it's WRONG for her to benefit off her poor choice, ultimately I hope the money would be used for her childrens' benefit. Ultimately with all the unanswered questions (seriously WHO PAID FOR THIS??) I think curiousity will get the best of me and I'll tune in. If she gets her own TV series, I doubt I would watch (though I must admit I DO love Jon and Kate plus 8). I wonder if this story will impact their series at all??

2 comments:

zerodoll said...

if it was IVF and the doctor implanted 8 (or more) embryos, it is wrong on yet another level.

Seeking Solace said...

It's funny because tonight at my water aerobics class, a few older women (60-ish) were talking about it and saying how ridiculas this woman is. But in the same breath they said that there should not be selective abortion.

Honestly, I don't get this woman. If she has 6 kids already, where did she get the $$$ for IVF? Also, is she hoping for all the perks and publicity that other parents of multiples receive.

It's just kind of creepy.