Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's a good thing I'm not on fire

After many years of suffering with general and social-related anxiety I attempted to take the plunge today to find a therapist. I called 10 people and NOBODY was accepting new patients. I left voicemails for 3 others, but at this point I have lost hope. I'm beginning to think there is no (insurance covered) help out there.

Sigh. At least I tried I guess.

UPDATE: After 13 phone calls to doctors listed on my insurance company's "find a dr" website, I got a dr to call me back, after TWO phone calls with her, two attempts to navigate my insurance company's automated phone system and another call to the dr with the requested insurance info, I FINALLY have an appointment.

In mid-March.

Hey, at least it's something.

4 comments:

ccw said...

When I lost my beloved doctor (I have her now thanks to better insurance) when our insurance switched I was left with 23 doctors on my list. Number 17 was the first one taking new patients. I got an appointment within 2 weeks. That should have tipped me off, he was crazier than I am and pill prescribing happy. He had no issues with me taking 8 or 9 different meds a day.

My friend needed a new doctor and he had to wait 3 months to get in.

I hope that you like the doctor and are able to find the help you need/want.

ccw said...

Oh, forgot to say that when I started taking Lamictal which can cause a deadly skin rash I developed a rash. I called several dermatologists and could not get an appt. This was October and one told me I could come in January.

I laughed my ass off and asked if she understood that I was taking Lamictal and had a rash. I ended up seeing my GP two days later. It was not the bad rash.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Therapy - its a good thing.....trust me. At this point I could be a therapist....and I only charge crafty stuff.

Karen said...

Thanks for the support! I promise to let you guys know how it goes. Unfortunately I made the mistake of telling my family I was getting help and they told me it was a waste of money which bummed me out, but I still plan on giving it a shot.