Sunday, July 20, 2008

Coming Out of It

I've been trying to keep my head above water lately, and there are days when it feels like I'm in a bathtub and days when it feels like I'm in an ocean, but I'm starting to come around I think. The soldier I've been writing to in Iraq sent me a letter and some photos this weekend, which did wonders for regaining some perspective on life.

I've been unhappy lately, probably since I came to New York 4 years ago, maybe even before that. The events that lead to my escaping Illinois and coming here were traumatic and life-altering. It was one of those moments that defines a piece of you by what you choose to do with the event. I chose bitterness, resentment and hate. I chose to take a path that took me even farther away from my true self. So far away that I almost don't know who that is anymore.

Let's hope I can find it buried underneath the sea of bad choices.....

1 comment:

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Recognizing it is HUGE in fixing it......I have faith in you.