Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Evening the Score

My smoke detector adventure continues. Just last month I thought I had taken care of this issue, but alas the smoke detector wanted a rematch. Last night after an exhausting day and actually dragging myself to the gym for the first time in a month, I dropped into bed at 11pm basking in the glorious 8 hours of sleep I was about to get. Unfortunately unbeknownst to me, my apartment had other ideas. At 2:30am the Squeap came back with a vengeance. Every 30 seconds...SQUEEEEAP. Not wanting to deal I got up, closed my bedroom door and put a pillow over my head. I could still hear it, but was convinced it was something I could just sleep through. 2 minutes later the Squeap took on a whole different sound...it started to growl/hiss. I kid you not. Finally I get out of bed, drag my drafting table stool into the hallway and in a half awake state, somehow managed to stand on top of it and remove the smoke detector from the wall once again and remove the battery without falling off. It's nearing 3am by this point and I'm pissed I've had to deal with this whole fiasco again.

3am was also the time a nasty storm blew through outside, rattling my windows and producing heavy rain. I tried the pillow over the head trick again, this time not really knowing if it was the sound I was trying to block out, or if I was trying to suffocate myself to end the misery, but whatever my motive, it didn't work. Finally around 4:30 I accepted that I wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep and I got up and watched TV until having to go to work this morning.

Sleep total for the night: 3.5 hours....Squeap - 1, Kai - 1. The score is tied.

No comments: