Monday, April 03, 2006

It's a bit slow today at work with all the execs out at opening day of the Mets. I've now spent hours blog browsing and throwing everyone's secret blog stat counters off. A lot of people have posted about music and what songs bring back certain memories for them. Though also someone who is affected by music, books also spawn certain memories for me. A book is a photograph in my mind. I remember the giver or the place on my travels I bought it long after I've forgotten the story contained within:

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan was a birthday gift from Caryn my last year in college. A beautiful story, I'm actually reading again, despite the strain of having to carry a heavy hardcover book on my commute each day.

My Cambridge Guide to Theatre.....a fantastic reference book while in college, later used for pressing leaves during a Martha Stewart moment. I bought new bookshelves last month and in the re-arranging of books dozens of forgotten leaves fluttered out.

The T.S. Eliot book I bought on my first trip to Boston with CDC...a book I've yet to read....

In the Lake of the Woods...one of the few books I've ever read in one sitting. I sat in the armchair of Cornie's house in Urbana with my legs slung over the side engrossed in the story, unaware of time passing. Still one of my favorite books, I try to read it at least once a year.

O...ff to browse Amazon for some new memories...

No comments: