Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Decsions Decisions 2

Something Jenn said in my comments on my first Decisions post has been stuck in my mind the past few days:

"Would your life be better if you had that job?"

I sit at work all day asking myself this question. Then I go home and sit on my couch and ask myself this question. After 3 days of asking myself this question I'm not sure I am any closer to a clear answer.

There will be aspects of the new job that I know I will love, there will be aspects of the new job that I know will frustrate me. I imagine that's pretty much how it would be with any job. The frustrations of the new cancel out the frustrations of the old and it's what's left that matters. Aside from the job being in a field I enjoy, the biggest change would probably be in my day-to-day life.

I think in the long run my daily life would be better with this job. After my NY lease ran out (or after finding a sublet), I could easily afford an apartment with all the amenities I don't have here in NY, and I could definitely have a dog again. For most people the day-to-day life is mundane and insignificant, but for me, a self-proclaimed loner, my daily routine and tasks truly are the "comforts of home".

New York makes daily life difficult. Imagine going to the grocery store and only being able to buy what you can carry home. A quick trip to Target takes a minimum of 2 hours and changing trains twice. Doing laundry means carrying your laundry basket two blocks all the while attempting to prevent your underwear from blowing across the street. A return to the simpler, more convenient life of IL is tempting.

I still need to make out a pro/con list, but as of right now I'm leaning toward submitting my application.

Until then it looks like many more sleepless nights contemplating my quality of life. Thanks a lot Jenn :-P

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Heh heh. I'm such a wise ass. No...I was serios. That's how I make all my decisions. And sometimes...the decision is to jump and hope for wings on the way down.

Good luck.