Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Walk Away Slowly

So last night The Young One tells me that the reason he won't be in Chicago for Labor Day weekend is that he is going to visit his ex. Even though we haven't met yet and aren't dating, I have to say I was upset/jealous. He assured me that they are just friends and he's not going to get back together with her, but I've been around the block enough to know how this plays out and I'm not sure I want to be a part of it anymore. I'm not the girl that gets the happy ending. I'm the girl whose guy goes on vacation to a foreign land and dumps me because he fell in love with his tour guide.

After several hours of ignoring his calls he sent me a text asking me to please call him so we could talk about it. I did, but there was no real resolution to the conversation. I told him I wanted to cool things off for a while since he was clearly not emotionally available and told him I still wanted to meet up with him in September, but maybe just for a lunch or something casual. He said he was disappointed and was hoping to take me on a date and go sightseeing with me and spent time with me, but that he understood why I wanted to back off. He again assured me that nothing was going on with his ex and even though she wants to get back together with him, he is not interested in her and he is excited about getting to know more about me. I honestly can't tell if I'm being reasonable or unreasonable and I hate that feeling. I just feel like it's inevitable that I'm going to get hurt and my self preservation skills are telling me to get out now.

I wish I knew if I was just being scared or practical. It's such a fine line it seems.

No comments: