Friday, January 05, 2007

2007: The Year of No Sleep

I've been plagued with severe chronic insomnia since my early teens, often sleeping only an hour or two a night, if at all. For about a year my sleeping pattern was that I slept every OTHER night, which oddly seems to be my natural sleep cycle. I've tried everything they tell you to do: remove work and distraction from your bedroom, make room dark, no caffeine, work-out (but not too close to bed time), establish a routine...and every natural home remedy/pill known to man, but absolutely nothing works. The few times I've brought it up to Doctors they have blown me off and told me it was just a phase and it would go away. 15 years later and I'm still waiting for it to "go away". Last night I didn't sleep at all, the night before I got 1 hour and the night before that a whole FOUR hours. I can usually function for two days on little to no sleep, but its that third day (today) when I start to get a little loopy. I'm not even sure if I'll get sleep this weekend, as they are doing major electrical renovations to my apartment and though they are supposed to finish today and re-plaster, there was no sign of them when I left for work this morning, so I'm a little wary. Keep your fingers crossed they do finish today so I can spend the entire weekend cleaning and getting everything back in order. I can't take much more of this.....

1 comment:

purple_kangaroo said...

My sympathies . . . I get insomnia when my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome gets bad, and it's miserable!