Friday, March 23, 2007

Didn't your mama teach you better than that?

As I normally do in the mornings, I hit the Starbucks on the corner before going to work. After my usual grande iced coffee purchase, I headed down the street towards my office. I noticed a co-worker in front of me being hassled by one of the construction workers working on the building next door. He was clearly trying to hit on her, in that "in your face" abrasive, disgusting way that men sometimes do (seriously guys...does this EVER work for you? try flowers.). I was too far away to intervene and by the time I caught up with her he had turned the corner. I went up to her and asked if she was ok. She said "yeah. why?". I told her I had seen that guy being a jerk and she was like, "oh those guys do that to me every morning, I just ignore them".

It upsets me that women have to endure this kind of behavior. I know that ignoring these guys is the best thing to do, but it makes me sad that she has to start her day like that each morning.

Sometimes I hate being a girl.

No comments: